Southeast Rail Station Study
The Southeast Rail Station Study (SERSS) explored options for future station locations on the Caltrain corridor in southeastern San Francisco.
On July 14, 2022, the Planning Commission endorsed the Study. This resolution urged decision-makers to take all steps for the Bayview Neighborhood to 1) restore Caltrain service to the Bayview, 2) commit funds to advance this long-overdue project, 3) recommend an Oakdale location, and 4) equity and connection should be prioritized. For the Potrero / Dogpatch / Mission Bay neighborhood the Commission urged decision-makers to: 1) advance design for the PAX and changes to existing 22nd Street station and 2) recommend the either the current location or a 16th and Mariposa location. On June 30, 2022, the final Southeast Rail Station Study was released. The San Francisco County Transportation Authority will lead the next steps of the work.
In partnership with Caltrain, the City of San Francisco is planning for the future of the Caltrain corridor between the existing 4th and King Station and the Bayshore Station.
The Electrification of Caltrain service is underway, which will bring more and cleaner train service to San Francisco. Future projects also include the future Pennsylvania Avenue Extension (PAX) tunnel that was adopted by the Mayor's Office and the Board of Supervisors at the conclusion of the Rail Alignment and Benefits Study in 2018.
The PAX tunnel is still under concept development and the final concept may require the redesign or relocation of the existing 22nd Street Station.
|March 2020||Study Initiation|
|October 2021-January 2022||Public Outreach|
|May 12, 2022||Presentation at Planning Commission hearing|
|June 9, 2022||Community Meeting|
|July 14, 2022||Presentation at Planning Commission hearing|
|July 26, 2022||Presentation at San Francisco County Transportation Authority Board meeting|
|August 2022||Project Completion|
Final Report Materials
June 2022 Bayview Community Meeting
Fall 2021 Workshop Summaries
Please view our introductory video, which summarizes some of the information presented at the first round of outreach workshops.
Workshop Round 1 - Project Basics (October 2021)
- English: https://youtu.be/JryvWQR8_fs
- Spanish: https://youtu.be/zwXYM86tXs8
- Cantonese: https://youtu.be/rvAHnzkJJi8
Workshop Round 2 - Conversations About Locations (November 2021)
- What's going on with long-promised Caltrain Station in Bayview? Another study – May 16, 2022, SF Business Times
- Oakdale Avenue eyed for new Bayview Caltrain station – July 20, 2022, SF Examiner
- Bayview residents divided over proposed locations for long-awaited Caltrain station – May 11, 2022, SF Business Times
- Public transit fails its mission in the Bayview – November 22, 2021, SF Examiner
- A new Caltrain station in the Bayview: Here’s the plan – October 8, 2021, SF Examiner